Ten curiosities about lottery
Find out about some lottery curiosities
If you think winning the lottery is impossible, keep reading because much stranger things have happened! There are some curiosities around lottery winners that make you get surprised, some curious, funny and incredible facts about this game.
Not only does the lottery make dreams come true and change lives forever, but it also offers some incredible stories like the ones we will share with you now.
Get amazed with our list of 10 lottery facts you probably didn't know and take a moment to appreciate all the drama and excitement the lottery creates. Some of these facts are as surprising as real lottery movies.
Learn about these and other lottery facts that seem kind of superstition, but they are real. Believe or not, all of them happened, even you cannot believe it!
Ten curious lottery facts you won’t believe
- 1. Not checking your tickets, or losing them, can cost you: The world record for the largest unclaimed lottery prize is held by far by one ticket sold in the UK worth £63,837,543.60. The draw date was June 8, 2012, so even if someone were to find the ticket now, it wouldn't really do them any good. All unclaimed National Lottery prizes go towards the Good Cause fund. So that this doesn't happen to you find out: What should you do if you win the lottery? What would happen with the money?
- 2. A $590 million lesson in courtesy: We are taught to always be courteous and respectful, especially to our elders. Mindy Crandall took this lesson to heart and let 84-year-old Gloria Mackenzie take her place in line at a supermarket in Florida. One of the items on both women's shopping list was a lottery ticket. Who bought first? Mackenzie, who won $590 million. Crandall says she has no regrets because it taught her daughter an important lesson about kindness. To save yourself from this scenario, skip the supermarket line and play lottery online.
- 3. A fortune cookie that made lottery history: In 2003, 110 tickets won the second prize in a lottery game. Normally that lottery expects the number of winners to be zero to four per drawing, so they suspected fraud. What they found was much more interesting than a case of lottery manipulation: a fortune cookie lottery had been making the rounds in Chinese restaurants across the country and people played fortune cookie numbers. So, 89 ticket holders won $100,000 and 21 won $500,000 because they multiplied their winnings.
- 4. Holland and Belgium pioneers: The first recorded lotteries offering tickets in exchange for cash prizes were held in the Netherlands and Belgium in the 15th century. One of the first fully registered lotteries was held in 1445 in L'Ecluse. The lottery offered a prize of 1,737 guilders (approximately $170,000 in today's money) and sold more than 4,300 tickets. Most of the proceeds were used to build urban infrastructure or help the poor.
- 5. The word "lottery" comes from a multicultural mix: Given that the lottery evolved into its modern form - selling tickets to win a potential cash prize - in the Netherlands and Belgium, it is not surprising that the English word "lottery" originates from the Dutch word "lot" meaning "fate." "Lotto" originated from Italian - the first lottery in the post-Italian Roman Empire was held in Milan in 1449. If you like Italian lotteries and want to be part of their history, there are a lot of information you can find on the web about it. Now, lottery is spread around over the world.
- 6. Even the Vatican City has lotteries: At first the papacy was against lotteries in Rome. Popes Innocent XI and XII threatened excommunication against Catholics who participated in Italian lotteries, but lotteries remained as popular as ever with the public.
- In 1732, the Holy See led by Pope Innocent XIII finally allowed the establishment of an official Roman lottery. Centuries later, the Vatican has warmed up to more than lotteries. Pope Francis, the current pope, held a lottery - with funds going to charity - in January 2015. He has just announced a second lottery with a draw date of July 30. Tickets are only 10 euros each, however, you will have to go to a Vatican pharmacy, post office, supermarket, or bookstore if you want to come in.
- 7. Anyone can win the lottery from anywhere: Being honest, as we always do, it is important to point out that the odds of most lotteries can seem impossible, however there is always a winner sooner or later.
- That winner can be you or your neighbor, anyone can win a lottery just by buying and playing with official tickets to participate in the lottery drawings. But you can't win any lottery from anywhere, because in order to participate in foreign lotteries, it is almost always absolutely necessary to buy the physical tickets in the country and state/region where the draws of a certain lottery are held.
- However, there is a way to not only participate in foreign lottery draws, but also to win them: through messenger services for the purchase of official lottery tickets from all over the world. Thanks to those services there are some players who have won lottery players from any country, who take advantage of the information provided about lotteries on the web with detailed reports.
- 8. Lotteries are much older than you may think: Although no one can say definitively when lotteries began, they are certainly not a new concept. The earliest forms of lotteries can be traced back as far as 100 BC. In ancient Rome and the Han dynasty in China. This means that lotteries have been a part of human history for at least 2,177 years!
- 9. The United States of America and its rich history in lotteries: The founders of the United States were the founding fans of the lottery! Benjamin Franklin established a lottery to pay for a cannon in Philadelphia. George Washington established many lotteries, although they were never successful. Thomas Jefferson established a private lottery to pay debts. And in 1776, the Continental Congress established lotteries to fund the Colonial Army. That is the reason why many American lotteries are so popular. However, in Asia you can find many options to play lottery online or offline either.
- 10. Sometimes lightning strikes twice... or even three times: The lottery has a rich and incredible history that has made for some dramatic and incredible stories. However, the most important story you will write is yours. Ready to write it by playing online at Fun88?
Learning to play the lottery online
One of the ways to play lottery is to sign up at a website where you can get a lottery ticket. One of the best advantages is the comfort of playing lottery at home, just needing a good internet connection.
Then, when you decide to play the lottery online and you search online lottery providers, go for one that was mentioned to you by someone you know who already played through the site. And that someone should be reliable as well.
You must know how long that website has been online and if there are any negative reviews about it. The simplest way to get the answers for these is to make your own investigation online and what you learned about the website will be your basis in selecting what will you use to play the lottery online.
Also, you can subscribe or organize a lottery syndicate, playing it by entering your numbers in the online play slip and opening your lottery account.
For extra security, these websites often perform a credit check. The account you created will permit you to play selected online lottery and other casino games.
It will always be more suitable for you if you know when to purchase lottery tickets without worrying about losing them because they will also be kept online.
There is a website which is provides live broadcast on lottery draws. This is more convenient because it will allow you to know right away if your tickets win or not, so you must do things in front of your computer.
Besides from knowing where to buy the tickets, it's also very important to have your own strategy on how to play the lottery online.
If you are buying tickets online by the way, ensure that you know about the cut-off times. When it comes to lottery numbers, you will get a better winning odd if you stick to a set of numbers few times in a row.
Other benefits offered by the online lottery system when playing include low syndicate benefit cost, never disremembering to buy tickets and losing them, and the convenience of playing the lottery even if you are out of the country or when living overseas.
Another advantage is that results are sent to you by e-mail if you require it. Is there something more convenient that playing lottery online?
Casino Online - Play More And Play With More To Win!
Play Gin Rummy Online